Marriage Encounter (expectations)

6:35 PM

In 3 weeks Kaleb and I will be attending our first marriage conference. I'm not even sure if that's what it's really called. Conference, retreat? I'm not sure. AG Marriage Encounter will be in Dallas April 24-26 and we're going!!! I heard about it from a friend of mine who said many couples I know have went to it and had nothing but good things to say about it. We actually registered way back in January. There's only 40 spots so they fill up quite quickly and I didn't want to miss out. I don't know much about this conference except that it's suppose to give you an even better marriage than you already have. I don't know if they do small break out sessions or if you're in a big room with all of the other attendees the whole time. I don't know if you spend a lot of time alone with your spouse or if you have a lot of free time for discussions with other people. What I do know is Kaleb and I need this.


We have a really good marriage in my opinion. Nothing traumatic or major has tainted our unity except parenthood. Ok...having a baby didn't taint it but it sure made it hard. We didn't spend much time married before we got pregnant. We don't know what it's like to just be with each other. I think we missed out on a lot of growing together because we spent the first 11.5 months of our marriage preparing for a baby. I treasure that time because we had to get tough really fast. No sleep, living off coffee and Jesus during the wee hours of the morning, learning to quietly argue because the baby was sleeping, and learning that we have to nurture this marriage hard core if we want to be better followers of Christ, parents, and of course spouses. 

A whole weekend with Kaleb in a hotel room? It's like our honeymoon all over again! Plus learning how to make our marriage even better than it already is? Yep. I'm excited! 

I love walking into things like this with a heart of expectancy. I expect the Lord to work hard on us individually, pointing us towards the mirror before we even think of pointing fingers at one another. And then gently lead us into better communication over those "constant fights." That's what I call the arguments that seem to never end. The ones that you feel like you keep having, resolving nothing. Yea, we all have them. I know we're not the only ones. But most of all I expect to connect deeper. That sounds so cliche but like I said above we never really had the chance to just be married. We missed out on a lot of those middle of the night conversations and prayers over our life together and heart cries. We've had them for sure but not nearly at the level of connecting that I'm sure couples who had a few years of marriage without children probably did. We missed out on vacations together and road trips over the weekend. So, in one weekend completely devoted to our God and our marriage I'm expecting big things.

I can't wait to see how reality matches up with my expectations. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images